UWCSEA has a maternity leave vacancy at its East Campus from 13 August to 11 October 2019 for a Teacher of Middle School Science (ages 11-14). The successful candidate must have a tertiary qualification in Science and skills and relevant experience required to teach Grade 6–8 classes. The Science Department is composed of enthusiastic and dynamic teachers who work in a very well-resourced environment for learning. Teaching takes place in dedicated science classrooms that are part of a large, vibrant science faculty at UWCSEA. Due to the nature of this appointment, it is open only to those who hold residential status in Singapore (Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents, Dependent Pass holders or Long Term Visit Pass holders).
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We are committed to safeguarding our students and protecting them from harm. In keeping with the expectation that all staff and volunteers share this commitment, those applying for a position at the College must be willing to undergo employment background checks and screening appropriate to the post. If you have a strong sense of adventure and an exceptional level of commitment to teaching and learning, UWCSEA might be the perfect next step for you. Here are some reasons why:
- Learn with and from leaders in international education. We provide a professional learning programme that brings international experts to the school and ensures our teachers learn and grow as practitioners and leaders in their time with us.
- Work with exceptional students. Our students are a remarkable community of young people with diverse backgrounds and experiences who are united in a common purpose.
- In addition, as a non-profit organisation, we invest a percentage of income into scholarships for approximately 100 students each year. These scholars come from a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Immerse yourself in a holistic education. Our academic results are outstanding, but our focus on holistic education means teachers are involved in all aspects of the programme. At UWCSEA you can take students trekking in the Himalayas or kayaking in Thailand, building houses in Cambodia or skiing in Switzerland. Equally, you can support them in making real connections with the local community, working with children with multiple disabilities or teaching life skills to domestic workers who have been the victims of violence. All our students and teachers, from Kindergarten 1 to Grade 12 are involved in our activities, outdoor education and service programmes.
- Commit to a mission that guides everything we do. UWCSEA is a member of the UWC Movement, whose mission is to make education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future. At UWCSEA, all our students from K1 to Grade 12 are developing the ethical dispositions that will empower them to embrace challenge and take responsibility for shaping a better world.
- A good degree with a specialization in an area specific to this position and a recognized teaching qualification or certification are expected.
- Previous experience of teaching Science in the 11-14 age range is required.
- The ability to engage with students and to engender enthusiasm for science learning is a pre-requisite for this role.
- Teachers should be willing and eager to participate in the five key elements of a UWCSEA education: Academics; Activities; Outdoor Education; Personal and Social Education and Service
- Academic expectations include enthusiastic participation in Professional Learning
- Pastoral expectations include the leadership of an advisory group, unless the teacher is exempted due to other responsibilities.
- On average the College expects a yearly contribution of two sessions per week in each season to Activities and/or Service.
- The College expects that teachers will participate enthusiastically in the curricular Outdoor Education experiences which are relevant to their students and will also occasionally volunteer for holiday Outdoor Education trips.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential alongside a willingness to adapt and develop pedagogy to meet the needs of our learners.
- Applicants should be enthusiastic about teaching within a multi-cultural environment.
- Flexibility of approach and a collaborative style are essential.
- Teachers should be willing to contribute positively to the collaborative culture of the Science and broader Middle School teams.
- Teachers should construct learning experiences that challenge students, support the diversity of learners in each classroom and demonstrate a strong commitment to concept-based teaching and learning.
- Teachers should ensure assessments support ongoing learning and provide timely, relevant and appropriate feedback to students on formative and summative assessments.
- Teachers should demonstrate effective classroom management that shows an understanding of the academic, social and emotional dimensions of learning.
- Teachers should keep parents informed about the learning of their children, and be proactive in communication with parents.
Along with a very competitive package, UWCSEA offers the incredibly high rewards that come from working with remarkable young people in a climate of innovation, collaboration and collegiality. Furthermore, the College offers outstanding levels of professional learning; we regularly hear from teachers that they learn more with us than at any other stage in their careers. Opportunities include structured internal courses, a self-driven Professional Learning Programme, support for further studies and an emphasis on concept-based teaching and learning. Above all, teachers are part of a professional learning community that allows them to share good practice and work with outstanding fellow teachers and practitioners. Teachers arriving from overseas will be provided with relocation support, housing allowance, medical insurance, and repatriation support at the end of contract. Medical insurance is provided within industry-standard limits. Teachers arriving from overseas may be entitled to tuition fee exemption for up to three (3) children at the College, subject to evaluation of available places at the time of offer and/or the existing HR benefits package. Teachers’ children are subject to the same admission standards as all other applicants. It should be noted that provision for learning support is limited in scope.
To apply for this job please visit www.uwcsea.edu.sg.